GRADUATION!! (Grad School)

Thursday, November 9

My memory never serves.....

I saw the movie The Queen with Kate last night. I was excited to see the movie until I realized that I was thinking of a different movie. I had thought the movie was the Esther Movie (One Night with the King) but it was a movie of the british royal family at the time of Princess Di’s death.

Now, as you all know, I have a horrible memory; therefore my memories of the events of August 1997 are extremely hazy. I do remember that I was working on the housekeeping staff for Days Inn in Provo. My boss was very affected by the death of Diana, to the point that she listened to the play by play of the funeral on the tiny radio in her office. I remember that people we lauding the work that Diana had done with her various charities, almost painting her as a saint. I also remember that for some reason there was a great dislike of the Royal Family. The main thing I remember of that time is that I was shocked at the grandiose measures that were taken in regards to Diana’s death and the fame that was heaped upon her head for her charity work when a mere week later Mother Theresa died and it was a mere blip on the radar. A woman who dedicated her life to charity work, she even one the Nobel Peace Prize in ’79 for her work, but she was not as “important” as Di? But that is a diatribe to be written at another time.

Back to the reason for this post…..

Last night’s movie was a view sympathetic to The Queen. It causes one to empathize with her struggle at the time of Diana's death. I was impressed with the way she was portrayed. It gave her a very human feel as she tried to deal with all that is being thrown at her and realized that maybe she didn’t know what was best anymore. I was so intrigued in regards to what I did not know about her that I looked into it today.

I learned many interesting points……..such as did you know that Queen Elizabeth was a mechanic(technically titled a driver) during WWII? She is, so far, the only female member of the Royal Family to serve in the armed forces. Her first Prime Minister was Winston Churchill. She was called Lilibet as a child and was know for her sharp wit. At the age of 14 Elizabeth made her 1st broadcast addressing the children who had been evacuated due to the War (WWII)

Queen Elizabeth II is not a person I have ever thought much about therefore I had no real opinion of her. As I have read about her, I have created my opinion of her. She is a woman who amazes me. One that has done the best she could for herself and her people. I truly believe that she has devoted her life to the service of her people, as she pledged when she was a mere 21 years old. I am glad that I went to the wrong movie last night.

P.S. I promise to post the pics of last weeks wedding soon. It was an adventure and the Bride and Groom deserve to be celebrated.

1 comment:

Boo said...

I love Princess Diana! Did you know we share the same birthday and Di's mother and I share the same last name Kidd or Kydd as her mother spells it. I think this makes me a Princess also. :)