GRADUATION!! (Grad School)

Friday, January 16

Goodbyes....

Yesterday was a hard day.

And not only because it was the last day in the office but because we had to tape up almost 115 boxes of files for the UPS guys to ship. Paper can be very VERY heavy. I'm a touch sore today and my hands have been ripped to shreds.

But that is not the reason for this post.

Yesterday was also my last day at the office. I am now officially unemployed. But I really have to much to do to linger on the fact that I am never again going to wake up and head into the office on Westpark Drive. Sad thought. Monday I start my trek across the country back to Utah.....I won't be back here for a long time. Even sadder thought. Darn school!

Anyway...yesterday.....last day in the office.......

4 years ago I came to The District without a plan. I found a place to live and fell into a job as a receptionist. Who knew that 4 years later I would have settled into a company that has become almost a family to me.

As I said goodbye to the ladies there it was weird to realize that I won't be part of the future lunches they plan or the American Idol pools that we have had for the past 3 years. I won't be going to Annapolis for crabfest's or long lunches where we all laugh and talk.

Kristin and I prolonged things as long as possible these last 2 days. We stayed late, talking and packing, on Wednesday and then went for lunch and a bit of book shopping therapy yesterday. She heads to Louisiana today and doesn't return until after I have left for my trip. As she dropped me off at the metro for the last time and we hugged good bye, I wanted to cry.....but I don't do that in public. :P Kristin has become more then my boss these last few years. Not only is she a great friend, but she is almost like a big sister sometimes. She has watched out for me over the years here and I am more grateful then I can express for the time I had to work with and learn from her.

The people here have had a profound impact on my life, teaching me about different working styles and atmospheres. These are wonderful people and I have learned something valuable from each one. I can't believe I am not gonna hear Joe laugh or talk with Anne and Moira about the things going on. There are quite a few others that I saw on a regular basis, and would stop and take the time to chat with here and there. What's gonna happen to Suzanne's son in Germany playing ball? Or David's son that is back in School. Or Jonathan's 2 adorable baby girls (though I guess they aren't babies any more are they Jonathan?) What about Nancy, who helped me through Kristin's maternity leave? or Beth and her family in Connecticut.

Today I go to lunch with the guys I made friends with in the beginning, when I was just the lowly receptionist. The guys in R and D made coming into work then fun. I haven't had much time to spend with them in the last couple of years as I was integrated into the HR position (plus I no longer had the good candy they wanted; that stayed at the front desk.)
There were the Mormon jokes from Karl, the cracks from John and Subodh, Paul and Ben were good for a chat about anything that came up, (and a really cool new years eve one year. ;) ), Hugh was the silent one, with some really good one-liners, Eddie always wanted Friday....and a smoke. Lol! Rob with his comfortable leather chair, Karen and all of the rest.....

I could go on and name each employee (Happens when you work in HR at a small company) but I won't. I guess what I am taking away from this experience is that even thousands of miles away from my family.....I have family. This job wasn't supposed to be a permanent part of my life, it was a stopping point on the road back to school. But it has left a mark, a mark I am glad to carry with me. And thanks to modern technology, I can and will keep in touch with the great friends I have made here.

....AND......they can all read this and embarrass me about it at lunch. Doesn't that sound like fun. Lol!

Okay enough of the mush.....next time I am online, I will give you a run down of the playing I have done and that I plan to do over the next couple of weeks.

Plus I want to write about the play Funeral Potatoes that is back in theatres.....I wish I could go but it doesn't run until after I leave. I am so sad.....so you all have to go for me!

2 comments:

Amanda C said...

I am sorry. So are you moving back here? We will definitely need to do dinner. Sounds like you have had some great times and met some wonderful people the last few years. I felt the same way leaving Florida. Although it is nice to near family and I wouldn't have it any other way. I still miss Florida like you would not believe.

Bonnie the Boss said...

See but look how lucky we Utahans are to get you! I hope you have a safe trip. I am pretty sure we will meet at some point. It is hard to leave the places that make us who we are.