GRADUATION!! (Grad School)

Sunday, December 23

2, 104 miles away from my family, surrounded mostly by strangers, I attended church today. This is only the second time I have spent Christmas away from my family. The first time I was a missionary, so it isn’t the same.

These days, everywhere I turn, I am reminded of the fact that I am not with family. No were more forcefully then at this morning’s church services

It has been a while since I have attended a family ward. As always, church is a pleasant experience when surrounded by little children. The Christmas program is beautiful. Kate’s mother is the choir director in this ward and the music is really amazing. Amber and I ooh’ed and ahh’ed over the children’s primary choir. But it is still off to sit through a family ward Christmas program and not recognize the faces of those around me.

In my mind I can see the ward back home. I can see Paul, James, and Luke sitting on the family pew. (We always sit on the right side of the chapel on the shorter benches. It was Mom and Dad’s way of dividing and conquering. They could sit next to each other and yet each kid was with in arms length. Therefore they could reach out and dispense justice any time it was needed. Lol!) Though, now that the boys are older and James and Paul play instruments they might have been tapped to help with the Christmas program….I’ll have to ask them. I can almost hear our choir back home…with the Wilkinsons, The Hepworths, Sister Clayton, Sister Lambert, and the priest quorum (for some reason, ever since I was a kid, all of our priests have been in the choir.)

I wonder what the Bishops remarks will be about. I know the gospel is the same all over the world. I know that the Music program is just as good here(especially with Kate’s Mom handling the program; she has really chosen some amazing pieces for the choir). But it feels different. It doesn’t feel like home.

Uh Oh….looks like it is time for the Bishop here to speak to us. I had better pay attention…….

No comments: