GRADUATION!! (Grad School)

Monday, November 12

Out of Africa

While browsing through movies on Blockbuster.com I came across this one and figured that I should watch it to remember what was so great about it. Many years ago, when I was small (can you see me stroking my chin with a wise expression on my face? Lol!) I remember my mother telling me that Out of Africa was one of her favorite movies. I don’t remember watching the movie back then, but I am sure I must have at least once.
It arrived from Blockbuster weeks ago and has been sitting on my shelf waiting patiently to be watched. Tonight, since I am in my room unpacking anyway, I thought it would be as good a time as any.
Karen, the character portrayed by Meryl Streep is reminiscent of her character in Bridges of Madison County. They are both women who are under appreciated, who want to live life to the fullest and know that they will never get another chance. So they take what is offered and the love that goes with it. Unfortunately, the love that is offered is not from the one to which each of those characters is married. Does that make it any less painful to watch them end up apart at the end of the show? Your heart aches for the lost chance. Though, the words of Karen resound in my mind this evening. “I want to be worth something.” When faced with the choice to be alone or to spend her life with someone that was always flying off into the sunset, she chose to be alone.

I want to be worth something. I want to be important enough to someone. I want to be apart of something…..What woman doesn’t?

And that is the end of my melancholy evening I thing I will follow up with something funny and happy before I turn in.

Good night all!

3 comments:

Tiana said...

You are totally worth something! Every bit of you is!

Stephanie said...

Dear Rae:

I think that we, the aforementioned Girl Mafia, need to get on figuring out who the mystery commenter is. I, for one, am curious about his/her intentions with you.

Because, as we all know, you're my girlfriend.

xoxox,

Me

Boo said...

I agree with your sister, of course you are worth something. Even the most miserable soul is worth more than worlds. Never forget that.
I know what you mean though. I agree that every woman wants to mean something, if not everything to a man. They want to belong to someone. I long for that as much as any other woman but I also relish in being single and open to all the possibilities that each new relationship can bring.
Thanks for seeing Lars with me last night. I had a good time.