GRADUATION!! (Grad School)

Monday, October 30

Pass the screwdriver please

This weekend Erin was out of town so I had the house to myself again. I really like having roommates but every once in while I enjoy having an empty house. I didn’t want to go out so I slept late and hung around the house. Kate came over for a while. We went for a walk in my neighborhood. While it was beautiful outside and I thoroughly enjoyed the atmosphere; this walk did nothing more then cement my belief that whoever created the roads in VA was severely disturbed (yet again a story for another time).

During a manic moment after our walk, I decided to rearrange and clean the common areas in our house. After moving the couch and small tables I learned our lamp would not stand straight. It only required a little tightening and I was onto the cleaning phase. Unfortunately the first thing that I noticed was that our vacuum was broken. There was no suction. This was a travesty; some things should suck when I want them to! A quick assessment proved that the hose was clogged. Not a big deal, I assumed it would be easily fixed. After about 15 or so minutes (it was really clogged, I should clean more often!) I realized that the clog was not the cause of the lack of suction. I sat down with a couple of screwdrivers and took the machine apart. I found and fixed the problem and then closed up the machine.

Now you might find me silly, but I actually had fun taking apart the vacuum and putting it back together. I had flashes of childhood memories. Helping my Dad put together the bunk beds when we moved to Utah, helping my grandfather build the playhouse in our back yard, fixing little things around the house. I remember my mother teasing me when I was 9 or 10 that I was going to grow up to be the family fix it woman. Lol! By the time I was 12 things had changed. Among them was the realization that fixing things required a coordination I do not possess. I quickly moved onto other things and became the family bookworm, a title I still hold. I rarely have reason to handle a screw driver or hammer any more but I still get a little thrill when I get to take something apart, especially when I can put it back together correctly. Lol!

1 comment:

Boo said...

I love that you said some things should suck when I want them to.