GRADUATION!! (Grad School)

Sunday, February 26

I learned from Mama....

I went and saw a movie last night. I know I know something new for me. Lol! I have felt out of the loop as I haven't been to a movie in 2 weeks. This time I let my roommate Kate pick what we would see. A risky venture, I know, but I trust her. I mean who else went to see rent with me so many times.  Kate picked Madea’s Family Reunion, apparently a sequel to the movie Diary of a Mad Black Woman. I have not seen the first so I came into this knowing very little. As a matter of fact, after the previews were over I leaned over to Kate and asked what movie we were seeing. Kate thinks this is hilarious, really I just like the previews to other movies so much I forget what we are there to see. Any way back to the movie ……. I really enjoyed it. 2 thumbs up from this peanut gallery. It had an interesting look at life, one I can only partially identify with. I am not ever going to be a beautiful black woman engaged to be married to a rich but abusive man. The best I can hope for is the ‘not bad looking white girl with the huge family to complicate matters”. There were things said and people in the movie that I did not know or completely understand….The end scene a gorgeous man came on the screen and the audience oooh’d and aaah’d. My friends and I, the only 3 white girls in the theater, were lost as to who this was. The lady in front had to lean over and tell me his name…which was lost on me as I still don’t know who he was, but he did look nice. ;) Some things, though, are universal. As I watched these women struggle with the past, present, and possible futures, I realized that things are hard all over. Things are never as they seem.
I also realized that among all my many complaints about my mother she did teach me a few basics…..
1. Family is family…..you are there for each other no matter the cost.
2. Family is work…..nothing worth it comes easy
And finally and most important
3. If a man I was dating or married to ever laid a hand on me or my children…….let’s just say ”Grit-ball” would be going easy on him.
You don’t hit me and you never ever hit my babies (be they 2, 20, or 40)…..ever!
So no matter the gripes or complaints I have regarding my mother she did teach me the important things, for which I will always be grateful.

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

Don't worry. I don't judge you for your anxiety. And I think it's a good post. Two sides to everything and all that. :)