GRADUATION!! (Grad School)

Friday, May 23

in these small hours
these little wonders,
these twists & turns of fate
time falls away,
but these small hours,
these small hours still remain.

All of my regret
will wash away some how
but I can not forget
the way I feel right now.

Little Wonders
by Rob Thomas

This evening I watched Meet The Robinsons on the recommendation of Code Monkey. I think he suggested it to show the effect the acquisition of Pixar had on Disney movies, but I am currently in a different frame of mind. I was struck by the moral of this sweet story.

Life is not about our many failures. We must Keep Moving Forward, working towards a better future, while appreciating the small wonders that happen every day. The movie ends with the song Little Wonders by Rob Thomas in place of that dialogue for the last scenes and is followed by a quote by Walt Disney. As the credits began, I couldn't help but reflect on the book I had just finished this afternoon.

I had picked up a copy of the Last Lecture by Randy Pausch on the recommendation of my friend Kate. (More information found here.) I found it to be an amazing book, you can borrow my copy if you like, as long as you don't mind the personal notations. ;) Mr Pausch discusses many things in both his book and his lecture, but a theme I found emphasized over and over was that we need to be living out lives; really living. Setting specific goals and working toward acheiving them. His inspiring words have caused quite a bit of introspection in my life. (as if everything that is going on wasn't enough.)
What are my goals? How can I achieve them? Time is finite, am I using my time wisely? Does my family understand that I love them? Have I shown gratitude? Do I Keep Moving Forward. Whether there are days, weeks, months or years left of my life, am I treasuring the important things and working towards those important things?

It has been said by many, that as mortal beings, we are never stationary in our eternal progression. We are always moving, it's just a matter of direction, either forward or backward. I hope that I continue to move forward.

Around here, However, we don't look backwards for very long.
We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we're curious....
and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths.
~Walt Disney~

No comments: