GRADUATION!! (Grad School)

Friday, January 6

Kong

I can’t believe how busy I am lately. It will slow down again, but for now I am enjoying the pace. Tonight I saw the movie King Kong and it has left me contemplative. Therefore I am going to listen to the Anne of Green Gables soundtrack and try to get my thoughts out in an orderly fashion. If you are going to see King Kong, then don’t read as some of the story is written about.

As I watched the movie I realized many things…….I still hate bugs (Yet another reason I am still up…I get terrible nightmares from these types of movies. Lol!)

But more then that I looked at human character. There are so many facets to human nature it is hard to put a label on any one person. In this movie there is never just the hero, the villain, the comic relief, etc. I watched the characters on the screen and wondered how I would react. Where would I stand? Who would I be? I think inside of each of us is a myriad of possibilities, but when it comes down to it…..what would I do?

Would I be Carl who is only in it for the money and fame? Though he spouts the words of honor and remembrance; he does not know what they mean. Does he ever truly understand the consequences of his actions? Does he ever realize that really it is ALL his fault?

Am I the Ships Captain? He is all about himself, yet he is persuaded to mount both rescue missions for the girl. He is also persuaded to capture Kong. Is he good or bad? Or Both?

Am I the First Mate? He spends his time protecting others and trying to better those around him. He gives his life for those he is trying to protect.

Am I Jack? Is Jack truly a hero? He fits the definition. He goes after his love, even when all looks to be lost. He tries to save people, even when they are not looking for his help. He does this without flamboyance, without thanks, without any sort of acknowledgement. But does he understand what is going on with Anne and Kong. Does he ever try to see why things happen? Or does he just react to what happens, Hoping that he is doing right?

Am I the movie investors? Not willing to put all that much effort into things, but more then happy to reap the rewards of others endeavors.

Am I Carl’s Assistant? He does not have many lines but I believe that he plays a significant role. He is there through everything; he sees and hears it all. He knows what he is getting everyone else into. He gives half-hearted attempts to derail the project. But then he does what he is told. “It is his job” you might say. During the depression, jobs were hard to come by and he was probably just happy that he had work. But throughout the movie, he was always there, always mopping up Jacks mess. In the end he distances himself from Jack, after he realizes that “Carl destroys everything he loves”. But is it too late by then? Am I the person that will push and try till it is past saving?

Am I Anne? Do I let myself be taken from those things I find important. Do I try to step out of the drama only to find myself embroiled in the mess that is caused from others actions? As I watched her at the end her helplessness was almost palpable. Knowing that she was going to fail but trying anyway. Knowing that this was the end but praying for it not to end?


And finally, am I the people of New York? Am I there for the ride? Am I there for the entertainment, not realizing the power that is being held captive? Not caring about how it happens, only that I am entertained. Reacting out of fear, conquering where there is no need, and rejoicing in the death of what I do not understand?

I think I have significant portions of each of them in me. They don’t necessarily come out all at once, some I never allow the light of day, but they are there just the same. As much as I want to believe that I am the first mate I think in reality I am most like Carl’s Assistant. (I wish I could remember the characters name). He does step up to the plate and save Anne and Jack, the first time. He is scarred forever for his action, but he saves their lives so I don’t think he complained much. When it was time to push or shove, he did the right thing. In that moment, he stops being the lackey and starts being who he could have always been.

It is about 12:30 here and I need to get some sleep. But I wanted to get my thoughts of King Kong down in print. No tears from me, but a very contemplative mood about who each of us really is, who we want to be, and who to we allow others to think we are.

No comments: