GRADUATION!! (Grad School)

Friday, January 20

Last Holiday

I felt the need to write. Today was an interesting day. There was a trip to the dr. Yes everyone take a deep breath, the test have been ordered and after my 12 hour fast this evening my blood will be drawn in the morning. Results will be in early next week and all will be clear. It is all in my head…right. Wishful thinking!

Back to my purpose. Tonight I went to a birthday party for a friend and enjoyed myself. It is not my usual crowd and yet, I realized that I can be at home anywhere. I have mastered the art of lying in wait, judging the atmosphere, and molding myself to fit the situation. And that is what I did tonight. There were no dirty jokes or innuendo….just clean fun and chit chat with various LDS young adults. I enjoyed it. My roommate Kate on the other hand did not. So we cut out early to catch a flick. We picked out Last Holiday with Queen Latifah. Why you ask. You have already seen it. Why repeat this one. That is my reason for writing tonight.

I have now watched this film twice and enjoyed it both times. Maybe it is because I seem to connect with the Character Georgia Burns. The moral to this movie is that there is nothing but possibilities; we should be living life to the fullest. There is a line in the middle where she says: “You know how it is; you keep your head down and you push along. Then one day you look up and wonder ‘how did I get here?’.” (I tack on “and where am I?) I see that all around me. People just keep pushing through, never willing to look up and see all the wonder that surrounds us. Life is amazing, people are amazing, and the world is amazing. There are so many things to try and see….if only we look for it. My friend Eddie commented on how everything that was important to her was of monetary value. She goes to a nice hotel and tries to spend all of her money. This upset me when he said it the first time we saw it. And it upset me again as I watched it the second time (and he wasn’t even there. Lol!) But in her actions I see her doing the things shee had always wanted to do. And she does them with vivacity and…well grace is the word that comes to mind. She holds to her beliefs even when all she can do is question God? She holds to her morals and values, and she shares it with those that are around her. She does not fear opening her mouth to speak her mind, regardless of who may be listening. Be it local hotel staff, senators, congressmen, rich business tycoons, or anyone else. And yet as she opens her mouth she does it in a way so as not to hurt, she speaks truth but is not cruel or unkind. As they say in the movie: “Life is too short….” There is so much to try and to learn and to see, in the world and in the people who surround us. What are we waiting for? Do we have to wait for a sign? What is enough of a sign? 60 degrees on a beautiful January morning, is that enough for you to look around and be grateful for what we have been blessed with? Maybe it will give you the push to try something new. A different menu item at your favorite restaurant, or drive a new way home, maybe talk to someone new on the metro, or read that book you always wanted. Plan that trip you always wanted to take. Budget if you have to, but remember……this is important too. It is important to take sometime to take care of you. You can’t plan for someone else to take care of you. And your happiness and love for yourself is just as important and your love for anyone else. As my roommate Kate says: The second great commandment is: love your neighbor as yourself. You have to love and take care of yourself first before you can do it for anyone else.” How can you expect to be able to care for children and spouse or anyone else if you do not care for yourself?
So much food for thought. It is late I am tired. Good night.

No comments: