GRADUATION!! (Grad School)

Tuesday, March 21

I Love You?

So a friend of mine discussed the use of this phrase on her blog. She posed the question that maybe the over use of this phrase reduces the meaning. Since I am in a contemplative mood anyway today I have been pondering this. I recalled a conversation between me and my younger sister. When she married her husband there were definite differences in their communication styles. Our siblings and I have learned by sad experience that people don’t always stay around. Some of us have picked up the habit of saying “I love you” when ever we leave or even end a conversation with a family member or close friends. This was a not the norm for my sisters new husband. She had to explain that she needed to hear those words from him when he left in the morning or ended a call with her. Even more, she needed him to understand that she needed to say these words to him, regardless of who was around, as there was always the possibility that it would be the last time she saw/spoke to him. Her overuse never diminished it’s meaning. It was just as important to her each time she says it.

In contrast if overusing it would diminish its meaning then would under use deepen the importance when it was said?

I don’t think so. As I recall the days of my youth I don’t recall them being used by my mother all that often except when extreme emotion was involves. As a matter of fact these words were used as more of a manipulative tool when I was young. It was always pulled out in the middle of a fight as if that would change what was going on…It’s okay because I love you and therefore I can treat you this way. Or how could you act that way I love you…etc. I don’t think this gave more importance to these words. (Then again what was it just yesterday I blogged about how nice it was to hear these very words from my mother. Ironic I know.)

To finish these are not words I use all that often. I know I don’t say it enough. I have to find the delicate balance. I never want to use this phrase and have people feel that I am trying to manipulate their actions by my use of emotion. I hate being manipulated by my emotions. But I also need to let those that are important to me know that I will miss them when they leave. I think I am almost there.

Now I am bored being contemplative and Gilmore Gilrs should be starting soon. Time to be light hearted.

No comments: