GRADUATION!! (Grad School)

Wednesday, March 22

Will they survive.......

Let me tell you first off.....I am no chef. I can cook a few dishes. There’s Ghetto Chicken Parmesan, which consists of Chicken Nuggets, Preggo Spaghetti Sauce, and Parmesan Cheese (thank you DAD); Chicken and Cheese Rice Bake (Chicken, rice, water, and Monterey Jack Cheese) and Freezer foods.

But I can actually cook one dish that I am proud of. My signature dish is my red sauce beef and cheese enchiladas. I think they are pretty good. My brothers loved dinners when I made them at home, which was not often. It usually takes about an hour of prep time and then another hour in the oven. So this is not a meal you can whip up after work. But the missionaries are coming to dinner. If I am going to cook for them I have to have something edible. Something I don’t worry would kill them.
I am preparing the night before they are to come. I can just pop the trays in the oven when I get home and dinner will be ready at 7. Tonight, though, was not my night. I had previously shopped for everything I needed (or so I thought) except for the enchilada sauce. So tonight after work I walked to the giant next to the metro. Unfortunately they were out of enchilada sauce. Did you know that was a possibility…I didn’t. Who runs out of enchilada sauce? Bah!
I have a wonderful roommate (Thank you Kate) who offered to take me to the nearest Safeway to see what we could find. Now logically, I am at home, preparing to go to the store, I should double check to make sure I have all of my ingredients. Did I? NO! I went to the store blissfully ignorant of the trouble ahead. With Sauce purchased, dinner eaten and everything ready so that I can make the enchiladas, I realized that I was missing a key ingredient. How was I to make my meal? Oh the drama!!! There was a frantic call to my mother and my sister. How do I substitute? What will work? If I add more of this how do I compensate for the spiciness? I can’t destroy the one dish that I can actually cook. I will not go into detail about the mess that ensued. Roommates were brought in for taste testing. What if I use more of this and less of that? A dash of this should give it the right kick….or not. The only complaint is that the first tray might be a little bit spicy. In the midst of all of this drama, the elders called to confirm only to tell me that they now have a meeting at 7 pm. Therefore dinner will have to be moved up an hour. This is fine except that no one will be home to put the food in the oven. Roommates are again assembled to see if any one will be home just to put the food in the oven. I will be home to take it out. Another crisis averted. Now on to the final problem; I just took them out of the oven for the pre-cook, only to find that they have overflowed the pans and spilled in the oven. Well it seems I can’t win for losing today. I’ll clean the oven tomorrow after the missionaries leave. The day should be better. ;)
Wish me luck. Hopefully the missionaries will enjoy? Hopefully I won’t give them food poisoning! :)

No comments: