GRADUATION!! (Grad School)

Wednesday, May 2

"I carried a watermelon.


That was the summer of 1963 - when everybody called me Baby, and it didn't occur to me to mind. That was before President Kennedy was shot, before the Beatles came, when I couldn't wait to join the Peace Corps, and I thought I'd never find a guy as great as my dad. That was the summer we went to Kellerman's.
Baby, Dirty Dancing
20 years ago I was a snot-nosed, 8 year old kid running around Kearns, Utah; clueless to the fact that one of the all time greatest movies was opening in theaters. Dirty Dancing opened and I can’t say how it did in theaters or what the effect was on the rest of the world at large. What I can say is that there is a generation of women who know that you “never put Baby in the corner.” We melt when men sing to us while we dance, we never end the season with the pachenga, and we know that God did not give us maracas if He didn’t want us to shake them. In high school this was the chick flick that everyone knew. It is the movie that was watched at the sleep overs with popcorn and pizza. It was the movie that Sarah,the bishops daughter, and I would sneak in to the basement to watch. Heaven forbid, her parents find out. Lol! Every girl swooned over Johnny, hated Robbie, and sympathized with Baby.

Tonight the Ballston Theater is giving us the opportunity we were to young to appreciate in 1987. We get to see Dirty Dancing on the big screen for it's 20th Anniversary. Boo, Kate and I are going. Here’s hopin’ we have the time of our lives!

2 comments:

Boo said...

Lord have mercy. I would give almost anything for a man to dance with me this way. My fantasy come true. They just don't make them like Johnny anymore. Sigh

Joy said...

I really couldn't tell you when I saw this first. I don't think it was in the theater, but I'm sure it must've been on video shortly thereafter.