GRADUATION!! (Grad School)

Wednesday, May 30

It was a night of cultural enlightenment……

I was given the opportunity to attend the Washington National Opera last night with my roommate Gina. Murder and betrayal were the order of the evening as we were sucked into the world of Macbeth.

Technical thoughts:
  • It was amazing.
  • The music was fabulous.
  • The costumes were interesting in their simplicity. They were used to imply that every person has the chance to be any character. We all have a bit of Macbeth, Lady Macbeth, Banquo and all the others inside of us.
  • The scenery was created with filmy screens and lighting….It was so cool. Especially the end of the second act where the screens created a look of a prison cell as Macbeth was going out of his mind with guilt.
  • Thank heaven for Subtitles!
Other thoughts:
  • When I first arrived at the theater I took the time to read through the program, especially the directors’ thoughts on the play. I found my mind continually returning to his insights on the characters through out the performance. I know this does not give me a completely unbiased view of the play and its characters, but I found it to be very helpful.
  • I didn’t despise Lady Macbeth as I usually do. Lady Macbeth is the one with all of the ambition; she is the one who pushes and taunts Macbeth until she gets what she thinks is best. Usually, this is enough for me to hate her. But as I watched, the thought came to my mind that each of us has that desire inside of us. Somewhere inside me I can find that ambition that pushes me to do my best, that pride which tells me ‘I’ know what is best, even though I am more often then not wrong. Lol! True, Lady Macbeth uses that ambition to do despicable things which in the end drive her crazy. I have that option in my life as well. Do I take the goals I have made and achieve them any way possible, no matter what the cost? Do I use my own moral compass to achieve my goals in a way that that will allow me to be free of any guilt. Which guilt, according to Shakespeare, could drive any man (or woman) insane, as it did Macbeth and his wife.
  • Macbeth, on the other hand, I disliked more then usual. Pansy is the word that came to mind (granted one with an amazing singing voice but that is besides the point). Of course, there is the argument that, Lady Macbeth is the more evil of the two characters as she is the one guiding Macbeth. But I just couldn't stomach Macbeths desire to pawn off responsibility for his misdeeds. I watched him just go along with things, he allowed her taunts and twisted logic to push him into his choices. Macbeth was not man enough to stand up for what he knew was right. Yet at the same time he wanted the things that were being pushed upon him. He wanted to be king of Scotland. He just didn't want to be responsible for the actions that would get him to his goal. As Gina said: “He had no backbone.” Any man (or woman) worth his salt should stand for what he knows is right. How can you respect a man who you can bully? How can you respect a man who will not take responsibility for his own choices and actions.
I have always had a love of music and theater. The opportunity to combine the two is a pleasure for me. I loved the feelings that were evoked during the show. Music has such a powerful force…and to listen to these talented men and women brought tears to the eyes.

All in all, it was an amazing experience for me. One I hope to repeat with La Boheme in the Fall and Rigoletto next Spring.

2 comments:

Bunny said...

Wow, it sounds great. I think those are some really interesting perspectives into MacBeth. Granted, it's been a few years since I read it, but I don't remember approaching the characters like that. In reflection, however, you're spot on.

Nice. :-D

Rae said...

Thanks Kim...Good to know I actually make sense..I constantly worry about that. Lol! :)