GRADUATION!! (Grad School)

Sunday, May 6

Spidey and Marriage

I don’t usually discuss my religious beliefs on this blog. Maybe there is a fear of rejection, but Friday night was an amazing time for me and I would like to record some of my thoughts. Those who do not want to read the spiritual side, you can just jump down to the Spidey part; I will not be offended.

We started the evening early, racing to beat traffic to the Centerville. Elder Richard G Scott (one of the Apostles (leaders) of the LDS Church), was giving a fireside. Kate picked me up at my office at 5 pm and we were off to save seats, knowing the crowd would be immense. We found great seats in the second row and were shortly joined by Amber, Kim, Kristi, Tara, Regina, and the rest of the singles world here in the DC area, filling the chapel and the cultural hall. The meeting was fabulous; Elder Scott has an awesome sense of humor. Yes, of course it was on the usual topic, he disguised it, at the beginning, by saying he was talking about “making correct decisions”. In reality it was about the decisions of marriage and dating. Not a topic I am usually very comfortable with though I was encouraged by the thoughts and love that was expressed. I realize that as a single person, I am very selfish. I am not sure when it happened. I don’t think I was always selfish, but now, as there is no one in my life that I have to constantly care for, I worry mostly about myself; my wants, my needs. If I don’t who will? Lol! But Elder Scott promised that (and I’m paraphrasing here) if we do not compromise who we are, our values and goals, and spend our time instead serving and worry over other people, we will find a richness in life that will allow us to find peace and happiness; regardless of marriage. I find this to be a very comforting thought. I have not given up hope on marriage; I just don’t really focus on it any more. I realize that marriage would require dating and…well…. men who lived in the area that would be willing to date me. Lol! I know that not all Mormon girls get to be happily married; some stay single for their entire lives. It is not a happy thing to live single in a church/culture which focuses so heavily on marriage and family. It is a difficult task and yet I know that God would not leave us comfortless. I might be single for many years to come, for the rest of my life even, but I know that when I serve others I can find joy. I have recognized this in the past, but it was good to be reminded.

SPIDEY

After the meeting, and with a minor communications error, we met up with Perry at the local Multiplex to watch Spiderman III. It is not a bad theater, but way out of the way, I am glad that we usually go to the movies closer to my home. Now I don't want to spoil the movie for anyone...but I am not a Spiderman fan. I haven’t really enjoyed the previous ones; they don’t really pull me in. I think they try to cater to many crowds, the sentimental loving women, the action loving men, and the kids. Plus, as Perry says, it was not true to the comic book version of Spiderman, meaning in my own words (and correct me if I am wrong Perry) Spidey wouldn’t spend the entire movie crying.

We spent time just talking afterwards, it was very nice. Kate found her favorite family and needed a picture to document. She is so excited about the upcopming movie. I have good friends. By the time I got home and to bed my clock read after 3 am and I was already dreading get up the next day.

2 comments:

Jeremymlad said...

I think they try to cater to many crowds, the sentimental loving women, the action loving men...

...The men who think Tobey Maguire is the epitome of male beauty...

Rae said...

Right...Sorry Jer, that crowd too. I always forget them because personally I perfer James Franco...Yum!

I guess that means I have to add the women who are there for the action...


See too many crowds!