GRADUATION!! (Grad School)

Friday, April 4

It’s Not You, It’s Your Books.

Twice in one day....I know shocking. But some one from one of my books clubs passed along this article and I had to share it with y'all. :)

The quote that interested me most was given by Anna Fels, a Manhattan psychiatrist and the author of Necessary Dreams: Ambition in Women’s Changing Lives.
“It’s a bit of a Rorschach test. It tells something about ... their level of intellectual curiosity, what their style is,” Fels said. “It speaks to class, educational level.”
The article isn’t that much of a shock really. But I have to wonder, if people are using my taste in books as a guideline, what must they think of me. As with food, movies, and music, I don’t have a specific favorite. I’ll try anything once and it is rare that there are things I won’t read. I mean really take my current reading list, off the top of my head I am reading:
  • A non fiction book about the Battle of Balleau Wood
  • A non fiction Book about the mementos left at the Vietnam Memorial
  • A fiction novel about a homicide detective in NYC in the year 2061
  • A fiction novel about girls who switch identities to save a girl from marriage
  • And not to be forgotten, my current audio book is about a socialite who inherits a football team when she knows nothing about football [As I know nothing about football and choose to remain in that thoughtless state, I thought it appropriate..right Sarah?;)]
Some of my favorites include classics by Mark Twain, C.S. Lewis, and Charles Dickens. But they also include authors such as L.M. Montgomery, Madelaine L'Engle, Suzanne Brockmann, Robert Jordan, Mitch Albom, Iris Johanson, Orson Scott Card, J.D. Robb, The Smithsonian, various church authors...and many more (hence I have over a thousand books at my house. How do you narrow it down to one?

My philosophy is: Don't judge me by my book covers. Read (or watch... or eat....or listen to) what you want; I am going to enjoy my eclectic tastes!

No comments: